Creativity & Genre

 

10/26/2020 

  

 

              Above anything and everything else creativity is tremendously important and plays a significant role when embarking upon new endeavors, especially in a field ripe with choicesThe use of creativity is key in life and the production of quality products for many different reasons. For instance, the use of creative thoughts and ideas can be a confidence booster, create self-efficacy, or even encourage people to branch outside of their comfort zones and build character for themselves as an individual.




For example, in the Ted Talk “The Theory of Creativity” Duncan Wardle recites steps one can take to implement more creative concepts in their daily lives, because without the four brain states that he discusses, it becomes hard to acknowledge depth and the significance of one's creativity. For another example, in the article “An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life" Beghetto explores all the ways one develops and maintains “creative self- efficacy"He goes on to clarify how fundamental creativity can be just as Ducan Wardle did in his Ted Talk, “The Theory of Creativity”. However, he states “I think it is important to recognize that creative behavior is risky behavior. This is because we are not sure how our creative actions will turn out or how our creative efforts will be experienced by others. Although, Beghetto agrees sometimes creative behavior can be risky, he also discusses how rewarding creative behavior can be. “Beautiful risks are different they involve doing something that many not work out but have the potential to make a contribution to the learning and lives of others.  Additionally, creative behavior can result in character development, helping establish one's innate persona. In the “New introduction” activity completed in class we practiced establishing ourselves in different ways. We used inanimate objects to step out of our comfort zones and describe ourselves in a new light. Such as, Just like a book every chapter of my life brings new adventures and struggles.” Personally, I would never think in such a manner but with the guidance given to us I was able to.  

 

After doing research on two directors/ writers in the film industry and focusing mainly on their work in the horror genre I gathered lots of new information regarding their personal techniques and levels of personal creativity throughout examples of their work. For example, both the directors who’s work I looked more closely into “Andres Muschietti” and “Jordan Peele used very similar techniquesSome that I personally would use and implement throughout my project would be their use of lighting to create an eerie atmosphere and mood. For instance, in the “IT” series directed by Andres Muschietti he uses dark lighting techniques to convey a sense of mystery and unknown for the audience. As well as in Jordan Peele’s film “Us” he adapts an unsettling atmosphere as well, by not only his lighting choices but his use of close ups to convey the emotions of the characters Additionally Peele uses very creative music at different times to match the feelings illustrated in the scenes.  The use of flashbacks in Muschietti’s film helps demonstrate and further develop the story line however, I personally disagree with his timing of the flashbacks. If I were to emulate the use of flashbacks in my project I would organize and structure them in a more fitting manner that would help the audience get a firmer grasp on the timeline of the story considering the importance of the events in a film.  





 

When we first were assigned this project, I envisioned my story in the horror genre for various reasons. Personally, I've always had a strong appreciation for horror because of the powerful emotions it evokes for both the characters and audience. I also believe the horror film industry has a vast array of unique story lines ranging from phycological thrillers to mysteries to the original predictable gory films.  The recent film field has taken horror classics and used them to reshape the contemporary film industry. The creative adaptations of horror can reflect the fears people face every day in a creative, imaginative method.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Review

To Team or Not to Team